Amalgam fillings have been the dental filling of choice for over 150 years in America. The earliest known use of amalgams for dental use was first observed back in 650 A.D., so they have a long and proven track record of success. Despite their success rate, newly developed composite fillings have been shown to be just as reliable on small cavities, without the metallic cosmetic appearance of amalgam. Here a just a few of the many benefits of switching to composite fillings:
– Size: Composites can be used on extremely small cavities, which were previously too difficult to effectively fill with amalgams.
– Color: Composites can be customized to match the natural color of your teeth.
– Safety: Unlike amalgams, composites do not contain mercury.
– Stronger: Composites can stand up to stronger forces that can cause tooth fractures.
– Functionality: Composites can be repaired many times over without removing the original filling.
– Leak-free: Composites can seal the margins between the tooth and gums much better than amalgams can.
– Durability: Composites can last nearly a decade.
If you have any questions about composite fillings, or you would like to learn more, please make an appointment with our dentists, Drs. Levine and Barrack, by contacting our wonderful staff at Blue Ribbon Dental via phone at 301-540-8808. You can also stop by our office in Germantown, Maryland. We look forward to helping you with all your dental needs!